Thursday 12 November 2009

You actually done anything yet mate?

So whassup with the Rooster so far? Tail feathers clipped but yet to be dressed - an LED light with integrated indicators maybe? Will that MOT?  What I have ordered is some tail plugs for the cut-off frame tubes. The tail chop is a Monster build given, but taking a hacksaw to the sub frame was a rite of passage for me as it has been for many.

Also see below the lovely and exceptionally light Italian Silmotor cans. These replaced the robust but slightly shonky Vipers the bike came with. Still not sure that the length of them, or the angle of dangle, is correct. More upswept would be nice. I let a two-into-one hi-level manifold go by on Ebay and now am regretting chance to do something very different. Specially since the Hypermotard shows that 2-valve Ducs can run 2-1s no probs. The Sils are cool but may yet be sold to finance something more radical.



I tried to track down a fluid leak which led me to the clutch slave cylinder. Taking that off revealed a broken clutch slave pushrod. I replaced that and because it meant taking the pressure plate off I splurged on a nice new plate, springs and retainers. Just need a fancy open cover now when funds allow... Of course what I really need is a nice aftermarket slave cylinder as the originals are known as leakers. It's on the list. The plate was on special offer as it isn't in the latest lightest shuriken death star style. However I like it more old school. The colour was chosen for what was the dominant silver and blue paint scheme in my head at the time (much much more on colour scheme angst later) so this may still end up unsuitable. However a cover with smaller apertures may make the blue a subtle feature rather than a no go. Glints of colour can work where blobs can't.....



The above picture also shows the RSD rearsets which needed a bit of discussion with the helpful manufacturer/supplier and a couple of extra spacers to fit. They are designed to be an economical solution for racers and so they are plain and functional - that's fine for me and fits present budget (i.e. I can pay in eggs at about one a day). They don't actually set the foot position back any more than standard but they are very light and they replace a big chunk of metalwork. However, that metalwork supports the 'zorsts so a new hanger solution is required. I have experimented with 4mm alloy sheet which I cut and bent into an interesting shape but I can't work it without scoring it horribly (limited tools and skill) so still thinking about that one. Probably just needs more care. It would be nice to fabricate something with my own gorilla like mitts, but with only an elk's thigh bone and a surgical truss in the metalworking toolbox, a ready-made solution would be equally welcome....


Where's me airgun? I'd let 'em stay in but they will just poo everywhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment