These brackets were needed because I'm running rearsets, to get rid of the ugly and heavy units that originally supported front pegs and controls, passenger pegs, and rear of exhaust system.
The brackets were prototyped with the 2mm thick alloy strip from DIY chain store. Then I ordered 5mm thick ally strip from a supplier on Ebay. At first it seemed like I'd miscalculated, as when I tried to bend the 5mm by hand in the vice, the whole bench moved, and it's a solid bench! Lesson learned, as I realised I have a book on metalwork that has a chart with "length to thickness to bendability" ratios in it. However that was far to scary and I wanted results - now! Applying energy with a different focus (or Ki for any martial arts people out there) i.e. using a big rubber mallet swung in the right stylie, got the right material moving. Offer it up to the bike, re-swing etc etc until bends are right.
Prototyping with two 2mm strips layered:
After bending, then cutting rough shapes in the 5mm is undertaken with a jig saw and pillar drill. Then I used a combination of hand files, mini rotary-tool and Black and Decker Powerfile to finish the rounded ends, and the slotting.
Although not shown here, much of the work was done with the piece taped-up to avoid marking it too deeply... In the blurry pic below you can just about see the permy marker cut guide lines:
Finished off with wonderful Scotchbrite disk on electric drill, one of my most used tools. The finish it gives is not too shiny but nicely pro looking (I think anyway).
A combination of laziness and some kind of Zen weirdness makes me stop at the absolute moment they look right at anything other than the closest range. I like the fact they're still a bit hand made when you look closely.The exhausts are now firmly mounted, in fact probably a little over-engineered but still lighter than the stock set-up.
Rougher brackets where knocked up out of the 2mm to support the 916 carbon front mudguard, as the fork legs mounting holes are at a different height from the original 'guard:
It's small spuds to the engineers out there but it's a start on the journey away from bolt-on Bertie status, and so satisfying...
I now have a target - I want this thing at least able to go for a shake-down up and down my suburban road by the 1st October. That gives me 3 weeks. She may have missed the summer, but by the gods she will not quietly into this winter go.....CHAAARGE!